Gateau Princesse

Gateau Princesse

My new found friend Florence (Bliss in the Kitchen) from France was so sweet to enclose a recipe she got from her mum’s aunt when she sent me her BBM package. It’s called Gateau Princesse and it’s supposedly an apple cake. Hmmm however mine turned out like apple pudding. I’m not sure if it’s because I read the recipe wrongly. The steps were quite vague and I just went along with whatever baking instincts i had. I liked how it turned out though. It was a nice warm dessert to have in the morning. Apples are good. . . especially those cooked warm in pies or puddings eh?

Here’s the recipe, courtesy of Flo…

_________________________________

Gateau Princesse

4 apples
6 tbsp granulated sugar
6 tbsp all-purpose flour
6 tbsp milk
125g butter (melted)
2 eggs
a pinch of salt

1. Peel and core apples. Cut them into quarters and slice thinly. Set aside
2. In a medium-sized bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and melted butter
3. Pour in the eggs, one at a time, and the milk, until smooth.
4. Put in a pre-heated oven at 180 degree celcius.

*Note: I used brown sugar instead of normal white sugar. The recipe didn’t say whether to lay the apples layer by layer, so I simply mixed the whole lot with the mixture. I used Royal Gala apples.

Posted on 17th Oct 2005 in Uncategorized

naranja commented on October 17, 2005 at 3:14 pm

Hiya! This looks great. I would like to make this one day. I love apples, they are so sweet when cooked.

About the recipe, is it heaped tablespoon or level tablespoon.

Thanks!!!

Nic commented on October 17, 2005 at 3:38 pm

Hm. It sounds a bit like a clafoutis, especially since it came out with a puddingy texture. How long did you end up baking it?

the baker commented on October 18, 2005 at 1:05 am

hi naranja, well I used the measuring tablespoon, level. have fun!

heya nic, whoa, i think i baked it for about an hour! ya i’m still confused as to whether it’s meant to be a cake or a pudding… perhaps both?

blaze commented on October 18, 2005 at 10:36 am

I really enjoyed you cooking steak website. I also have a site about cooking steak Please take a look. I hope you will find it interesting

keropokman commented on October 18, 2005 at 4:03 pm

Hi Baker

Maybe you can try Granny Smiths the next time. Green apples usually turn up fabulous for cooking.

Kelvin commented on October 19, 2005 at 7:35 am

Kia Ora (Hello) from a krazy blogger down-under in New Zealand. You have a really great blog. Can I mention it on one of my blogs ?

the baker commented on October 20, 2005 at 3:33 am

heya kelvin,

sure why not? go ahead 🙂

jadepearl commented on October 20, 2005 at 4:18 pm

I have been reading your blog and I am so impressed with your recipes and photos and I have decided to write to ya!!! Kudus!!!

I hope you don’t mind me tagging you for MeMe: Childhood Food Memories. I just can’t wait to hear about your favourite childhood food memories. Hope to read about it soon.

Take care and keep up the good work!

the baker commented on October 20, 2005 at 5:11 pm

heya jadepearl, thanks! i just checked out your blog too and it’s great! one more food blog to add to my favourites.

sure, i’ll be writing the meme pretty soon! thanks for your kind words. you take care too! 🙂

jadepearl commented on October 21, 2005 at 4:01 pm

Thanks! 🙂 I hope you don’t mind adding your blog to my fav too!
Can’t wait to hear about your meme!
Take care! 🙂

flo commented on November 20, 2005 at 10:07 am

hi cheryl!

i’m so glad you made the cake! nic is right, it’s close to a clafoutis. but it shouldn’t be a pudding, it should hold itself like a cake.
maybe it turned out this way because it didn’t cook long enough or you didn’t let it cool down before unmolding (that happens to me A LOT!)… but i know my instructions were quite vague, as to me, it’s that kind of recipe you make instinctively!!
Anyway thanks for trying the recipe!!
talk to you soon!!

flo commented on November 20, 2005 at 10:10 am

did i write 2 eggs on my recipe? it’s 3 you should use! OOOOppps!

the baker commented on November 21, 2005 at 4:53 pm

heya flo! ya maybe I should have let it cool more. but then again it could also be the apples i used? there was alot of moisture in this cake. oh 3 eggs? haha ya i think you wrote 2… okay time to try out this recipe again! hahaa….

Anonymous commented on July 13, 2006 at 7:06 am

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you!
» » »