Cafe @ Amplify

cookies all in a row

Just the other day, I had an important task. Well at least, it was important to me. I had to bake something. There was going to be a ‘cafe’ thingie at the YISS i was helping at. To be specific, there was going to be some time for participants to chill & catch up. There were massage and manicure stations, together with sports like table tennis and netball. And then there was going to be the ‘cafe’. Okay, it was going to be some kind of makeshift cafe, but hey it’s my first shot at selling my food.

So I decided to bake cookies. I ended up baking chocolate chunk and oatmeal raisin cookies. And guess what, they were a sell-out! haha, well at least now I know where I stand. Hey, i’m seriously thinking of selling my cookies as a sideline thingie. Hmmm now that’s a thought.

Okay, anyway here are some pictures from the cafe stint I did. enjoy!

delicious oatmeal raisin cookies
my oatmeal raisin cookies

For this, I used a new recipe i found in the Martha Stewart Holiday Cookie edition mag that Sarah sent me. It was delicious! I think I’ll stick to this recipe the next time I feel like some oatmeal cookies again.

Cafe all set to go
the cafe corner – sans people

Cafe filled with people
my ‘customers’ at the cafe corner

Cafe table

Emicakes kindly sponsored more than 100 pieces of brownies for the cafe. Cool huh? They were amazing and came with a lovely chocolate layer. I also sold some other biscuits and snacks.

Live music
live music @ the cafe. how cool is this?

my homemade cookies for sale
my cookies for sale

my chocolate chunk cookies for sale

oatmeal raisin cookies for sale

now you see it….

empty cookie tin

now you don’t!

so there, my first attempt at actually selling cookies I’ve made. I’ve been thinking about setting up an online bakery and I really might just go ahead with it. Hmmm what do you guys think?

_________________________________________

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 and 1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit. Stir together oats, flour, wheat germ, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl, set aside.

Put butter and sugars n the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add oat mixture, mix until just combined. Mix in raisins

Using a 1 and half inch ice cream scoop, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly.

Bake until golden and just set, about 14 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks using a spatula; let cool completely. Cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 3 days.

Posted on 14th Dec 2005 in Uncategorized

Gabrielle commented on December 14, 2005 at 1:59 pm

Hi! Your oatmeal raisin cookies looks absolutely delicious! I think it’s great to have an online bakery.. i can’t resisit looking at all your food and being unable to eat them. But does that mean u are gonna stop giving out recipes freely since u are gonna make a living out of selling?

the baker commented on December 14, 2005 at 4:45 pm

hey gabrielle,

thanks! oh no, of course not. i think recipes should be shared. 🙂 it really isn’t the recipe that works magic.. haha it’s the hands that make them too! so would you buy my cookies then? hahaa =p

Karen commented on December 15, 2005 at 1:18 am

An online bakery sounds damn good! I know I will be a loyal customer, even though I’ve not tried any of your creations!

Anonymous commented on December 15, 2005 at 6:21 am

is 1 cup melted unsalted butter the same as 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened

Lazyg3r commented on December 15, 2005 at 1:21 pm

Harro,
This recipe looks yummy. I noticed some weird symbols appeared in the recipe, for eg,

½ cup toasted wheat germ

What is Â??

Thanks for sharing nice recipes with us!!

Anonymous commented on December 15, 2005 at 2:31 pm

hihi…
thx for sharing this recipe..im intending to bake some cookies for my company’s xmas celebration, bet this recipe will come in handy 🙂
need ur advise on this thou – can i do away with the wheat germ and ground cinnamon? or are there any suitable substitutes?

the baker commented on December 15, 2005 at 3:45 pm

hi anon,

well yes, i usually weigh the butter first before i melt it. in this case, it’s 125g. i think it’ll be more accurate.

ya you can do away with the wheat germ. i know i did 🙂 i couldn’t find any. well the cinnamon gives it a nice taste but sure, you can omit it… it’ll be fine

the baker commented on December 15, 2005 at 3:46 pm

heya lazyg3r,

it’s just 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ. ignore the symbol.. it’s some weird html thing. 🙂

Hobbes commented on December 16, 2005 at 3:06 pm

If you do open your online bakery, I’m sure you will be able to do very well.
🙂

Amber Amethryne commented on December 16, 2005 at 3:36 pm

Ummm… I love oatmeal & raisin cookies. Thanks for the recipe 🙂

Rachel commented on December 16, 2005 at 9:44 pm

yum! i can believe they would be popular and i don’t even like raisins!

Gabrielle commented on December 17, 2005 at 3:40 am

U bet i will be buying your confectioneries! Yay! 🙂

Fat Fingers commented on December 18, 2005 at 4:43 am

I would love to have some homemade oatmeal cookies NOW! hehe 🙂

Lazyg3r commented on December 24, 2005 at 1:07 pm

Harro
I have tried the recipe today. The cookies were delicious!! I love them. I have also tried the Nutella frosted cupcakes. These are my favourite. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous commented on July 12, 2007 at 2:26 pm

Wow! Your blog gives me inspiration to bake even in this hot weather. The wheat germ is bought toasted or can I just toast the wheat germ myself? Also, what’s a paddle attachment? Show me a pic if you can please. To use a 1 and half inch ice cream scoop to drop the dough means it’s a pretty big cookie isn’t it?

Brett commented on July 31, 2014 at 10:46 am