Oat Crazy

Oatmeal Molasses Bread

Today’s the day I went oat crazy. It first started with me surfing through Nic’s food blog – Bakingsheet and coming across her recent Oatmeal Molasses Bread post. It seemed interesting enough and I had the ingredients at hand so I tried making my own loaf.

Hmmm sad to say mine didn’t quite turn out as beautiful as hers. I think it’s also because I used rolled oats instead of quick cooking oats. You see the white spots? Those are the oats, not flour… But it didn’t taste bad at all. Just not too holey as I would have liked. It’s rather dense. Maybe I didn’t leave it to rise enough? Or maybe there wasn’t enough water… I wouldn’t know till I try baking it again.

With my oatmeal bread disappointment I just had to bake something else to satisfy my oat craving. What else could I have baked but these:

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Yes, I’ve blogged about these oatmeal raisin cookies before. I made them using Martha Stewart’s recipe and they were a hit with my friends and I think Timmy likes it too:

Timmy eats cookie

Timmy’s a 5-year old my mum babysits in the day time. He’s adorable and intelligent and loves eating my baked goods. He’s so cute! He actually told me the other day, “Godma Cheryl, when I’m 11, you’ll teach me how to bake your brownies”. Haha… he’s been under my mum’s care since he was a baby and I’ve come to love him as a godson. I adore children… If only I could have some sans the pain! :p Next time, when I have my own kids, I’ll train them to cook and bake in the kitchen from young. It’s a skill worth cultivating!

Okay enough kid-talk, back to my oatmeal raisin cookies. I love these cookies because of what goes in. This recipe calls for toasted wheatgerm and lots of rolled oats. But I cut down on the sugar because I don’t like it too sweet. Besides, the raisins already give it that natural sweetness.

You can find the recipe in my previous post HERE.

Eat more oats people, it’s good for you! Crazy oat-loving cheryl, out.

Posted on 30th May 2006 in Uncategorized

michie commented on May 30, 2006 at 2:29 pm

Hey babe! You know that day after I saw the pic of yr brownie post, I went to the supermarket straight away and bought some brownie mix! I so wanna try yrs someday manz!!! YUM! and btw Ive changed my blog addy to http://xanga.com/indianized
do drop by when yr free, and the lil boy is so handsome! Hehe I love oatmeal porridge!!! and oatmeal cookies too!

the baker commented on May 30, 2006 at 4:24 pm

hey mich! yea i was wondering what happened to your old site! of course you’ll try my brownies someday… once you’re back in sg! just let me know! haha yep timmy’s one good looker. sure to be a heartbreaker next time. :p

Rosa's Yummy Yums commented on May 31, 2006 at 7:13 am

Pity for the bread, but at least those cookies look very fine! Timmy sure is very cute and it’s good to know that he’s your number one fan!…

michie commented on May 31, 2006 at 7:27 am

whoa really! Cool ah!! Hahaha.. Im back in July! Aye you know I take my hat off you! I love eating and cooking, but then the excess pounds chase after me faster than anything .. haikz~ U shd do a tea party! Id sure come and bring something too! Like Lori lar.. hehehee

the baker commented on May 31, 2006 at 9:33 am

rosa: yea, the bread was a letdown! i really do need to practise more with breads. they’re alot tricker. cookies are the easiest! 🙂

mich: ok, it’s a deal then! ehhh ya i’ve always wanted to do a tea party! i’m serious about it… okay we’ll discuss more when you get back! be sure to email me or something. it’s my hols and i only start school in aug… so there’s plenty of time ;0)

missy-j commented on June 3, 2006 at 1:57 pm

hi your oatmeal cookies look great. mine always turn out soft and chewy…are yours crisp?

Darrell commented on July 31, 2014 at 3:32 am