Kok Kee Wanton Noodle

Kok Kee Stall

When you see a long queue in front of a stall, it’s a sign.

A sign that it has got to be good. So good that it takes about 30 minutes for you to get your order.

That’s what happened to me. It could have been faster, but the people in front of me each ordered about 5 to 6 packets to go. Gosh, I was really starting to get impatient mostly because I was very hungry and rushing for time.

But I persevered because Leo and Cass insisted that it was well worth the wait. And so I waited…

and I waited and when it came to my turn, I got this:

Kok Kee Wan Tan Noodles

and was I happy?

You bet!

I was satisfied beyond measures.

It more than satisfied my wanton mee craving; it made me see the dish a different way.

Why so? Well you would have to go down to this stall to know exactly what I mean.

Only one elderly lady is behind the stall cooking tirelessly and another lady who packs and prepares the plates for serving.

Hats off to the cook who patiently cooks the noodles 3 times in different temperatured water. First it’s in hot boiling water, then in room temperatured water and then in cold water, I think.

All I know is that these noodles taste divine. And I didn’t expect it to be this good, honestly. Now I know why people bother to queue up.

The sauce tasted great and the wanton was yummy too. I regret not buying the $4 one. Silly me ordered the $3 plate. Damn…

I have to go back there soon. Wanton noodle is my latest local favourite. I keep having these cravings for the dish of late! Please do go and try if you can.

Anyway, if you’re looking for more places that sell good wanton mee, check out this LINK. I’m so going to go try the recommended places soon!
_________________________________________________

Kok Kee Wanton Noodle
Stall #1-06, Lavender Food Square
380 Jalan Besar
Opening hours Noon – 2am, closed every three weeks on Wednesdays and Thursdays

Posted on 2nd Oct 2006 in Uncategorized

Serene commented on October 3, 2006 at 8:12 am

I totally love this wanton noodle store… the queue is always so long tho! When i used to be working at Kallang, we always went there for Friday lunches ๐Ÿ˜‰ (since we could take a longer lunch break :P) There is this xiao long bao store there which is pretty good too ๐Ÿ™‚ not sure if it’s still there tho..

tigerfish commented on October 3, 2006 at 4:18 pm

but that’s quite a small serving for $3/- ?

the yUmMie dUmMieS commented on October 4, 2006 at 2:02 am

Alright! My gf loves wanton mee to bits. Thanks for the recommendation… n the link!!!

Alicia commented on October 5, 2006 at 11:16 am

Hey there. . .I totally get your wanton noodles cravings as I had it a few months back. LOL. .I tried the ‘famous’ noodles at Lavender,waited around 20 odd mins and not impressed. Just don’t see what the fuss is about. Good that you enjoyed it though. I’m still looking for one that rocks my world. ๐Ÿ™‚

Gustad commented on October 5, 2006 at 6:44 pm

why cook the nodoels in 3 diff temps?

Anonymous commented on October 6, 2006 at 3:17 pm

Just in case you don’t see the comment on the other post – the dark chocolate digestive biscuits at Marks and Spencer’s are on sale at $2.90 per pack now ๐Ÿ˜€

Anonymous commented on October 9, 2006 at 7:23 am

I won’t say that this stall’s Wanton noodles is good. The portion for $3 really ‘shrunk’ over the years.Taste ~ so-so only. Ah Eng’s Wanton noodles at Dunman, is better. ๐Ÿ˜‰ ….

the baker commented on October 9, 2006 at 3:42 pm

Serene: thanks for the tip, i will try the xiao long bao the next time i go there ๐Ÿ™‚

tigerfish: heh, actually ya, you’re right. first time patronising that stall. would have ordered more if i knew

yummie dummie: you’re welcome! ๐Ÿ™‚

Alicia: yea, i’m right now on the look out for the best wanton mee ever. am always drawn to wanton mee these days. you must let me know when you’ve tried the one that rocks your world k? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Gustad: well i think it’s all due to science. the expansion and contraction of the noodles will make it more springy and chewy! to find out more about wanton mee, check out this link: http://www.lifestylewiki.com/Singapore/Wan_Ton_Mee

Anon 1: thank you for telling me! will go get some ๐Ÿ™‚

Anon 2: wah really ah? you mean the auntie used to give more? Dunman Food centre? okay I will go try! thanks for the tip ya ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous commented on October 16, 2006 at 2:53 pm

i dun find this wanton noodles anything special leh! it was really a big dissappointment when i went some time back….my mum q for a long long time but is nt fantastic at all…i think the aunt is old le thats y work very slowly…so must q lor….is not very tasty but really nth to rave~

Bobby commented on July 29, 2014 at 3:43 am