My simple, sweet and spicy birthday

I’m a lucky girl, a very happy, satisfied and contented girl who turned 23 yesterday.

So lucky that I ended up with a huge 2kg carrot cake to eat all by myself and that’s just what I did.

You know what people say about girls who turn 23? Their appetites grow too and so does their mouths.

That’s what happened to me. I made my way through the entire 2kg of carrot cake and ended up with a very happy belly.

And then something interesting happened….

you won’t believe me…

a carrot grew out of my ear…

hahahaha!

:p

Sorry but I really couldn’t help it! Just feel like being silly. Somehow, I think turning 23 is kinda fun – you don’t feel too old and you don’t feel any younger. I feel the same actually. Maybe wiser and taller than I was at 13? Duh! heh.

But hey, I wasn’t lying about the 2kg carrot cake.

The lovely people from Calendar sent me their carrot cake because they had read on my blog about my love for carrot cakes. Apparently their carrot cake is one of the best and I got to try it first hand. My verdict? Darn right they are… those people who rave about their cakes. It’s made the typical American way; and owned by an American, no less.

Their carrot cake is moist and chockful of walnuts and raisins; even the cream cheese frosting is delish.

It has only been a day but the cake is slowly disappearing. My family loves it. I had some again for breakfast this morning. They taste really good warm.

I popped mine in the microwave for a while and it’s superb. Heard that their apple crumble and apple pies are to die for. Cannot wait to try them!

Thanks Calendar for making my birthday extra special!

So you must be wondering what I ate for my birthday? haha…

Hear this… I had dessert first before having my dinner. :p

Hey, I’m sure you’re not surprised! My sis and I were in town and simply couldn’t decide what to eat. It’s Singapore remember? The food paradise and for me, when given too many choices, I get rather fickle…

We went to Paragon to check out Canele because I had heard alot about it and wanted to check out their macarons (i’m in a total macaron craze right now). Their macarons were sold out though. But we shared a slice of black forest and gateaux chocolat.

Oh my, I tell you the cakes were splendid. Check out the gold foil:

Haha I feel like a queen after ahem eating that bit of gold foil.

Anyway this cake had whole cherries and the cake has kirsch. You should have seen the look on our faces!

The chocolate cake was even better. It was flourless I think.

Simply gorgeous. That’s how I’d describe it!

We were so happy with dessert that we walked out of the place with huge smiles.

What about dinner you ask. Haha… we had pasta at Bakerzin. I had the Aglio Olio and sis had the cream mushroom pasta.

The aglio olio had 6 whole chilli padis.

Can you guess what happened to them?

5 ended up in my brave mouth.

Yea, don’t you know what a spice queen I am?

But erm, I won’t advise you to put all 4 in your mouth at one go. It’s dangerous. Trust me. I had a whole spoonful of my sister’s cream sauce and it wasn’t enough to douse the fire. Tears were trickling down my face. It was seriously fiery but hey, it had that certain kick that I really dig. I’m a daredevil don’t you know 😀

And so, that’s how my birthday went – simple, sweet, and spicy… just the way I like it.

Posted on 30th Jul 2007 in birthday, cakes

Anonymous commented on July 30, 2007 at 1:49 pm

Hi! Happy Birthday to you and hope you had a wonderful day. The carrot cake really looked yummy. I love carrot cake too and could you email the receipe to me, pls?

Email: hokarenwl@gmail.com

Thank you very much in advance.

Karen 🙂

ivn commented on July 30, 2007 at 1:56 pm

Many happy returns!

Great to see you at the Makankaki sessions!

mimosa.shy commented on July 30, 2007 at 2:15 pm

Happy birthday to you Cheryl…Your birthday cake sounds and looks so delicious…Have a blessed year ahead.. 🙂

.::KillTheBlackKat::. commented on July 30, 2007 at 2:23 pm

woah…now all i want for xmas and birthday is a real good carrot cake. hee happy belated birthday! =)

Stardust commented on July 30, 2007 at 3:56 pm

Happy Birthday!

Jim commented on July 30, 2007 at 9:40 pm

Just remember: carrot cake is made with carrots. That means it’s healthy and you can eat as much of it as you want!

the baker commented on July 31, 2007 at 5:02 am

thanks all for your wellwishes 🙂

Karen, the cake wasn’t baked by me though. you can buy it from http://www.calendar.com.sg

Jim, haha damn right! that’s what i thought too. though i dont think i can actually stomach all 2kg at one sitting. but it just feels so healthy.. all that beta carotene :p

mia commented on July 31, 2007 at 5:20 am

happy birthday girl!

Jun commented on July 31, 2007 at 7:50 am

your vivid cake description left me drooling all over the laptop. I was wondering though if you knew anywhere I can pick up some baking skills but without using diary products and eggs in the process?

Monique commented on July 31, 2007 at 5:47 pm

A happy belated birthday to you! Sounds like you had lots of fun celebrating with your sister, what a great way to spend a birthday! =)

Anonymous commented on August 1, 2007 at 12:51 am

Errr…. I checked out http://www.calender.com.sg site and realised that it’s a web hosting company. Not sure if that’s the right one. Feel like a mountain turtle here. 🙂

Karen

the baker commented on August 1, 2007 at 4:21 am

hi mia and monique! thanks for your birthday wishes. it was indeed a delicious birthday 🙂

jun, i’m not sure but i can find out…

karen, it’s http://www.calendar.com.sg
that’s calendar with an ‘a’, not calender. 🙂

DShan commented on August 1, 2007 at 5:50 am

Hi, i’ve tried http://www.calendar.com.sg but it still routes to a web hosting site.

Anonymous commented on August 1, 2007 at 8:31 am

Yes, I agree with dshan too. Think there’s something wrong with the site.

cheers
Karen

Anonymous commented on August 1, 2007 at 9:36 am

Yah, i realised that too! Probably their webby has been tampered?

The carrot cake seems to be so yummy *i want too!*

So hopefully the webby error will be retified soon.

Xiaofen

part time sailor commented on August 1, 2007 at 2:34 pm

i think the website is

the baker commented on August 2, 2007 at 1:47 am

oh dearie me, yes yes it’s http://www.calendars.com.sg

my bad! totally forgot bout the ‘s’.

singairishgirl commented on August 3, 2007 at 5:25 am

Hey, happy belated birthday, Cheryl. Have a good year ahead. The link from your site to calendar is the web hosting website. 🙂 Is the carrot cake better than Cedele’s??

T.J commented on August 8, 2007 at 5:18 am

First of all i would like to apologise for leaving a distasteful comment earlier on. I was having a bad day in the kitchen and my sister happened to show me a food blog(yours). If you really want to chase that dream of lifting a sautepan or a rolling pin then welcome abroad.May your dreams come true.

btw nice pics…

rokh commented on August 14, 2007 at 2:15 pm

happy birthday! we have the same one 🙂 i believe i wished you last year as well, guess what, i am 1984 babies as well

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter commented on February 3, 2008 at 12:57 am

nice blog..good i stopped by

homeopathy eczema commented on May 12, 2008 at 9:30 pm

black mold exposureblack mold symptoms of exposurewrought iron garden gatesiron garden gates find them herefine thin hair hairstylessearch hair styles for fine thin hairnight vision binocularsbuy night vision binocularslipitor reactionslipitor allergic reactionsluxury beach resort in the philippines

afordable beach resorts in the philippineshomeopathy for eczema.baby eczema.save big with great mineral makeup bargainsmineral makeup wholesalersprodam iphone Apple prodam iphone prahacect iphone manualmanual for P 168 iphonefero 52 binocularsnight vision Fero 52 binocularsThe best night vision binoculars here

night vision binoculars bargainsfree photo albums computer programsfree software to make photo albumsfree tax formsprintable tax forms for free craftmatic air bedcraftmatic air bed adjustable info hereboyd air bedboyd night air bed lowest pricefind air beds in wisconsinbest air beds in wisconsincloud air beds

best cloud inflatable air bedssealy air beds portableportables air bedsrv luggage racksaluminum made rv luggage racksair bed raisedbest form raised air bedsaircraft support equipmentsbest support equipments for aircraftsbed air informercialsbest informercials bed airmattress sized air beds

bestair bed mattress antique doorknobsantique doorknob identification tipsdvd player troubleshootingtroubleshooting with the dvd playerflat panel television lcd vs plasmaflat panel lcd television versus plasma pic the bestThe causes of economic recessionwhat are the causes of economic recessionadjustable bed air foam The b

est bed air foam

hoof prints antique equestrian printsantique hoof prints equestrian printsBuy air bedadjustablebuy the best adjustable air bedsair beds canadian storesCanadian stores for air beds

migraine causemigraine treatments floridaflorida headache clinicdrying dessicantair drying dessicantdessicant air dryerpediatric asthmaasthma specialistasthma children specialistcarpet cleaning dallas txcarpet cleaners dallascarpet cleaning dallas

homeopathy eczema commented on May 12, 2008 at 9:32 pm