Chocolate Fondant

Chocolate has got to be life’s greatest pleasure. Or at least, in my view that is. Nothing gets me smiling in excitement than a tub of good chocolate icecream or a bar of dark chocolate. It’s no secret. I adore chocolate and allow me to repeat again – I do think that it’s God’s greatest gift to man. Blame it on my sweet tooth. Desserts rock my world and boy am I so glad that I don’t have an chocolate allergy. Imagine that! How horrible it’ll be eh?

If chocolate is my poison than chocolate fondant should be the secret to my heart. I’m a sucker for this molten chocolate cake. What can be better than eating something that you think or rather looks like a simple chocolate cake, only to have you finding a rich and decadent liquid chocolate centre once you’ve cut through it?

I used to think that it was a tricky dessert to make. Until I chanced upon a simple recipe from VideoJug. Woke up this morning to bake cupcakes for an Amplify event today and couldn’t resist making myself some chocolate fondant.

Check out the molten centre:

So now tell me this is heaven….

Do yourself a favour this instant and whip one up yourself and chant together with me: “Chocolate is a lady’s best friend”.

_____________________________________________________

Chocolate Fondant
Adapted from Video Jug’s Chocolate Fondant Recipe.

66g chocolate
33g flour
66g sugar
66 g butter
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.

Melt chocolate and butter in a bowl using the double boiling method. Set aside.

Whisk eggs and slowly add in sugar and mix till airy and fluffy.

Sift flour in the chocolate-butter mixture and mix.

Add egg mixture to the chocolate-butter mixture and mix well.

Pour batter into ramekin and bake for about 6 mins (duration depends on how big your ramekin is. I put mine in one medium sized ramekin so it took longer, about 15 mins. but if you’re using a few smaller ramekins, 6 mins should be sufficient)

Viola… your own chocolate fondant!

Posted on 18th Aug 2007 in chocolate

singairishgirl commented on August 18, 2007 at 3:23 pm

Wow!! Looks super delicious. I want!! Will try recipe someday. Thanks for posting.

esther commented on August 19, 2007 at 5:46 am

Hi, it really looks great.thx for sharing! may i know where can i find ramekins? i don’t seem to find them in normal departmental stores.

Jaa.M commented on August 21, 2007 at 5:57 am

hihi..can i know what is double boiling method?

Jim commented on August 21, 2007 at 3:27 pm

Wooooow. I’m imagining that with a cook of slowly melting homemade vanilla ice cream placed on top, both curling onto my spoon as I pick the plate clean…

You provide such lovely escapes from day to day tedium. 😀

the baker commented on August 21, 2007 at 4:41 pm

singairishgirl: yes do try it out. you’ll love it 🙂

esther: yea, they’re not easily available. but you can get some at Sia Huat or Pantry Magic or even Shermay’s Cooking School.

jaa.m: double boiling is simply putting your chocolate into another heatproof bowl before melting it over a pot of boiling water. you can’t melt chocolate over direct heat because it would burn.

jim: damn right you are. tell me about it! i wished I had some good vanilla bean ice cream with me that day. superb marriage them vanilla and chocolate. Mmmmm…. it’s a heavenly escape. you should try it someday!

singairishgirl commented on August 23, 2007 at 2:00 am

Yes I saw some ramekins in sia huat and the shop few doors away. SO tempted to buy them cos thought of your recipe. Will do that next time 😉

Anonymous commented on August 23, 2007 at 6:42 am

may I know where the location of sia huat is? =)

Anonymous commented on August 23, 2007 at 1:03 pm

is it sweetened or unsweetened chocolated you are referring to?

Pille commented on August 23, 2007 at 3:41 pm

I learnt to make chocolate fondants (or molten chocolate cakes) this spring, and they’re such an excellent party dish! Yours looks perfectly molten – well done!

Anonymous commented on August 23, 2007 at 4:25 pm

Hi, May I know whether an oven toaster can be used instead of oven?

han commented on August 24, 2007 at 2:33 am

Hi, have replied to your email, wonder if my mail when into your junk mail. 🙂

cheers,

han
photographer
han@tanhaihan.com

Anonymous commented on August 24, 2007 at 9:52 am

hi why is this called fondant? i thought fondant is something which is used for shaping decorations and covering wedding cakes with?

Mahek commented on August 29, 2007 at 5:54 am

hi
cheryl
i would love to try this dish
but cooking chocolate or sugarfree one is not easily available in india so what can i substitute it with cocoa powder or regular milk chocolate will do?
pls tell me

Anonymous commented on August 29, 2007 at 10:51 pm

Hey Cheryl
pls change the colour of you blog.
I used to like it alot, simple n nice but lately i realise i dont like the yelllow background, it doesnt matches well.
Looks the Poo Poo colour n that certainly doesnt go well with food.

singairishgirl commented on August 31, 2007 at 2:35 pm

Sia Huat is in Chinatown, I can’t remember the street. Check out their website for address.

Anonymous commented on September 1, 2007 at 3:56 am

ramekins can be bought in all ikea stores!i love cooking & baking too.pls exchanges pointer man!

Anonymous commented on September 5, 2007 at 11:17 am

Hi, your chocolate fondants look absolutely yummylicious. I love the ones from Beardpapa but these take the cake (intentional pun!).
I just have a question, might seem like a dumb one but I’m a newbie to the baking scene. When you say “whisk eggs” do you mean with a whisk or with an electric mixer?

Willard commented on July 28, 2014 at 11:31 am