Garlic Prawn Pasta

Everyone has their favourite pasta. Some like theirs creamy, while others prefer tomato based ones. I’m a huge pasta fan and though I usually prefer mine with a tomato base, I think my preference has been tweaked a little.

It all started when I heard from some friends that I should try the Garlic Prawn Pasta from Coffee Club. They all agreed that it was phenomenal. But I was a tad sceptical; I mean, it sounds rather plain – I imagined just some garlic and olive oil. Guess what? It wasn’t phenomenal, it was mindblowing!

The first time I tried it, I shared it with my sister because we weren’t really hungry and we finished the pasta in less than 15 minutes! You should have seen us. We were both slurping up the noodles enthusiastically. When it was all gone, I thought how nice it would have been if it were a bowl of neverending pasta.

What’s so great about it? The flavour. They are rather liberal with their garlic and the prawns are fresh and succulent. It’s deliciously tasty. It really is a simple pasta dish relying only on olive oil, garlic and chillies but somehow it manages to pull through really well!

Both occasions when I had it, I didn’t manage to snap a shot because well, it was so yummy that I forgot!

So anyway, the pasta was on my mind for days and weeks and I thought, how difficult would it be to make something like that?

That said, I went on my own garlic prawn pasta conquest. I realised that even though I had the garlic, and chillies, there still lacked a certain flavour. It wasn’t tasy enough. I thought it had to do with the salt. But eventually, I thought why not try some chicken stock? And amazingly, it worked. Although I’m not sure if that’s what they use. I have a feeling that seasalt would work too. But I don’t have any in my kitchen currently.

I’ve made my version of garlic prawn pasta a couple of times already and my sister likes it so I guess it’s not that bad? So now, when I crave for some, I know I can just whip one up without having to go all the way to Coffee Club.

It’s really simple, this dish. I realised that I’m very much into natural olive oil based pastas now – like Aglio Olio and all. My next conquest is pesto.

What’s your favourite pasta recipe/combination?

Posted on 31st Aug 2007 in garlic, pasta, prawn

singairishgirl commented on August 31, 2007 at 2:31 pm

I love that!! I tend to go for the bacon aglio or prawn aglio at pastamania. Will try coffee club’s version. Can trust you on that one.

Jim commented on August 31, 2007 at 3:01 pm

No recipe? 🙁

I agree on the olive oil based pastas–since I first tried Angel Hair with roasted vegetables and chicken at a nearby Italian joint last year it’s been a neverending love affair!

Anonymous commented on September 2, 2007 at 9:24 am

i love olive based pastas too. U should try yrs with olive oil and dried chili

mind blowing

Anonymous commented on September 2, 2007 at 2:10 pm

check this out . http://www.cookingismypassion.blogspot.com ~ Minty

V superb cake creations plus many interesting recipes. I think u’d love it

Anonymous commented on September 2, 2007 at 5:38 pm

i’m being helpful here! coffee club uses pesto paste in their garlic prawn pasta in addition to garlic and chilli, you can go try it haha.

Anonymous commented on September 4, 2007 at 7:32 am

hey ! may i ask a question ? what is the difference between choc fondant and choc souffle ?

the hungry cow commented on September 4, 2007 at 4:08 pm

Hey Cheryl, it was nice meeting you at the dinner even though we only had a brief chat. Keep baking!

fayreii commented on September 5, 2007 at 3:28 am

i’ve always liked aglio olio and pestos…tomato and cream are too boring… =)

DEe commented on September 5, 2007 at 10:35 am

My fav pasta is of the anything in the fridge variety… hahha.. the real puttanesca! 😀

babe, i like yr blog, and i already sent the contact list.. on the same night leh… u didnt get ah…

Anonymous commented on September 6, 2007 at 3:08 pm

hi, would you mind sharing your recipe for the garlic prawn pasta? =)

Anonymous commented on September 6, 2007 at 3:50 pm

my all time quick-fix lunch combi: basil with garlic. Lots of garlic.
Never fails a hungry soul.

the baker commented on September 7, 2007 at 7:04 am

hey all! a few of you asked me for the recipe. but i’m afraid there’s none! when i made this pasta, i did it by feel. if i’m feeling like having more garlic, I just add loads more of it. otherwise, the main ingredients are just chopped garlic, chopped fresh chillies, fresh prawns, chicken stock and of course, pasta. i fry the garlic first, then the prawns and after they’re cooked, i add the pasta. for flavour, i used chicken stock (can’t remember how much, just enough for taste) and the chillies go in last. 🙂 hope this helps!

and i loved reading all your fav. pasta combinations. makes me crave for some pasta right now. Mmmmm… pasta rules!

Anonymous commented on September 18, 2007 at 2:52 pm

Hiya, i’m also an olive-based pasta fan, and u r right on track with using chicken stock, because it gives more ‘oohmp’ to the pasta, and as of how much to use, a good rule of thumb will be to follow the instructions on the chicken stock cube box 😉

mother of zeus commented on September 25, 2007 at 6:23 am

hi, i actually have a recipe for garlic prawn linguine. i tried it and everybody loves it =)
it’s so simple actually.

for “the baker”: add parsley stem when you toss garlic to oil, add parsley leaves and lemon juice after you toss in the prawns. DIVINE.

hachi commented on September 25, 2007 at 10:11 am

That looks great! I love aglio olio with bacon or sausages. Simple and delicious!

tiramisu commented on October 22, 2007 at 8:07 am

hey.. can i ask if we shld only use olive oil and not the “extra virgin olive oil”??cos the latter might not be able to take the heat?

Anonymous commented on January 31, 2008 at 1:51 pm

hello! May i know what’s pesto paste and where can i buy it?

Collin Yeo commented on October 6, 2008 at 7:00 am

My favorite pasta too! The one from Coffee Club rocks!!!

Collin Yeo commented on October 27, 2008 at 4:27 am

The trick actually lies in one of their ingredients; Knorr. I have been searching high and low for their imported Pesto from Knorr but could not find any.

You can see the picture of the pesto here. Let me know if you came across it anywhere in Singapore.

Elmer commented on July 27, 2014 at 12:19 pm