Chasing away the Monday blues…

They are generous with their pork lard.

They are generous with their pork lard.

Every weekend, just about 5pm, my mood starts to sink. As the sun sets into the horizon, a sense of dread comes over me. For me, that’s when the Monday blues begin.

That’s when I feel sad that the weekend is over. Right about that time, I wish weekends were longer. This of course is representive of most of us who work. Even to those who love their jobs. I don’t know why they call it Monday blues. I think grey would suit it better. Or mist. Misty mondays.

For an optimistic person like me to find Mondays dull, says alot. But happy people always try to push away the gloom by finding a way to perk themselves up. And I am very good at that. Naturally, I do it with food. Delicious food. Tasty food that comes with a cheap price-tag. That’s how it goes.

Yesterday was one such day. A perfect example of how I chase away the blues before they settle in and linger on till the end of the week.

Wins and I met at Tampines to have dinner and catch up. It was where he lived so I left it up to him to decide what we were to eat. First choice was Indian rojak. But there were very little choices left so we scrapped that. Second choice was mee goreng. The mee goreng took forever to come. In the end we left. It was 8pm already! The third choice turned out to be a homerun. One that lit up my weary face.

A true hidden gem that I would not have uncovered if not for Wins. Tucked deep in the food court on the fifth floor of Tampines 1 was Ah Kim Fried Hokkien Noodle. A nondescript stall serving just six dishes, it’s easy to overlook. Wins loves food as much as I do and if he says something is good, it’s good. And he said that this hokkien mee was one of the best he’s tasted. I couldn’t argue. I could only test his judgement.

Turns out that there was no reason for any doubt.

One of the better hokkien mee I've eaten

One of the better hokkien mee I've eaten

Ah Kim’s Fried Hokkien Mee serves up one of the better versions I’ve tasted. I like this one because of the intensity in flavour. To me, that’s the mark of a good fried hokkien mee. It should not be reminiscent of  salt or msg, but have the smokey, pork-y flavour profile of something that’s been braised in delicious pork liquid. I don’t like my hokkien mee too watery and this one suited me just fine. The best part about their hokkien mee is also the abundance of pork lard bits that was strewn over before serving. Plus, their sambal chilli really kick-assed. They must have mixed in some hae bi hiam (dried shrimps). It was oh-so lemak and gorgeous on the grounds of how good sambal should be. Not too sweet, with just the right amount of spice. We lapped up the plate in just about 10 minutes (or less).

The hot plate fried oyster was good too:

Hot plate fried oysters

Hot plate fried oysters

Nothing much to fried oysters. You have to have good plump oysters and nice eggs and viola, you have a winner:

Plump oysters!

Plump oysters!

A simple yet very enjoyable dinner.

Look for Ah Kim Fried Hokkien Mee at Tampines 1's food court

Look for Ah Kim Fried Hokkien Mee at Tampines 1's food court

I highly recommend Ah Kim’s Fried Hokkien Mee. It’s comparable to my other favourite fried hokkien mee stall at East Coast Road. I still think the East Coast Road one is hard to beat.

And on a very random note, I just have to share something that’s not quite delicious (depends on context!) but totally adorable. Something that I am so tempted to bring home with me. Crossed its path on my way out of Tampines 1.

This totally made my day. Turned my Monday around:

Met this adorable bunny at a petshop in Tampines 1. The bunny of my dreams...

Met this adorable bunny at a petshop in Tampines 1. The bunny of my dreams...

Just too bad my mum hates pets and does not allow me to keep any. Still, I am seriously thinking of making this bunny mine. I would name it “Dusty”, or “Gray”. I will bring it every where I go… What would you name it, if it were yours?

Posted on 12th Jan 2010 in Uncategorized

dimsumdolly commented on January 12, 2010 at 5:54 am

You’re totally making me miss the food back home while I sit in front of my work computer on a cold day in HK!!!

yixiaooo commented on January 12, 2010 at 2:54 pm

trick is to have a smashing good weekend so that some of the nice feelings spillover to monday 😉

David Koh commented on January 12, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Was surprised it was in a food court. So the one at East Coast is better? Didn’t you want to name my cat Gray as well?

ivan commented on January 12, 2010 at 4:28 pm

That’s not a good oyster thingy! Messy wor. Must introduce you to my favorite. We can then tease YX about going to a hawker centre…

Oh yes: “Poo Machine!”… Which can be shortened to “PooMac!”, the exclamation point is to add tension.

Cheryl Chia commented on January 12, 2010 at 6:13 pm

@joan: aww… well i wish you were here and then i can bring you there to eat this!

@yixiao: i couldn’t agree more. ther’e’s a reason why after the weekends, i feel fatter – because of all the happy food!

@dave: ya i was equally surprised. very, in fact. hmm this one is close to the one at East Coast, just a little different. ah yes, i am desperate to name any animal Gray. i’m pet-deprived.

@ivan: is it? i think i don’t eat fried oysters often enough. yes please do bring us to your favourite one! hahaha… i’m sure she wouldn’t mind alfresco dining if it’s really really good!

Singairishgirl (SIG) commented on January 13, 2010 at 7:46 am

Hi Cheryl, thanks for the link to your ‘new’ blog. I have tried that hokkien mee. I loved it too! And I don’t agree it’s nondescript hahaha. It is a pretty big stall and almost everyone in that food court is eating that hahaha. Where is your favourite stall in East Coast Road? Care to share? I might name that bunny ‘Ash’. Hope your week is good. 🙂

Cheryl Chia commented on January 13, 2010 at 9:36 am

Hahaha. You’re right. It is not really nondescript! I guess I was just surprised that a food court stall can serve up such good fried hokkien mee. The good ones I’ve had are always in small coffee shops. And you’re right – almost everyone was eating that! ;p Ah my favourite stall in East Coast is the one at the junction of East Coast and Joo Chiat road – 125 East Coast Road to be exact. It’s at the coffeeshop called D’Orange, located opposite Katong Mall. Please do try it! Ash is a nice name, might really use it someday for a future pet 😉 You have a good week!

august commented on January 13, 2010 at 11:04 pm

i would name the bunny ‘coal’! or ‘risotto’! 😀

i’ll have to try the hokkien mee at the 2 places mentioned here.

Singairishgirl (SIG) commented on January 17, 2010 at 12:57 am

Hey, I just had hokkien mee at D’Orange today hehe. I pass there every week and frequent that corner stall for fishball noodles or hokkien mee, sometimes char kuay teow. 🙂

austin homes commented on April 7, 2010 at 4:14 am

Great dishes. Thanks for sharing your restaurant experiences.

Russell commented on July 30, 2014 at 1:19 pm